I’m one of those people that must eat a hearty breakfast with hot coffee every single morning NO. MATTER. WHAT. ☕️ But as a vegan, sometimes it can feel like my breakfast choices are limited. I can only handle so much oatmeal. I can’t cook up eggs and bacon. I’m also gluten free, so pancakes and bagels and waffles can be tricky. What’s a vegan girl to do?…
Whip up some healthy breakfast tostadas filled with creamy refried black beans, crispy potatoes, sliced avocado, crunchy red onion, and hot sauce & vegan ranch of course! So much yes. I want them right now, and it’s nowhere near breakfast time as I write this, but it doesn’t matter because tostadas can be consumed any time of day ?
If you’re looking for something new to throw into the breakfast mix or want something filling and healthy, or just a mega breakfast of champions, try these Protein Packed Breakfast Tostadas?? They’re pretty addictive.
Ingredients you will need:
- 2 corn tortillas (I like Food for Life’s Sprouted Corn Tortillas in frozen section of store)
- several tbsp of refried black beans
- 1-2 small red potatoes, diced into small cubes
- extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 slice of red onion, diced
- 1 cap of apple cider vinegar
- garlic powder
- nutritional yeast
- 1-2 small avocados, sliced very thinly
- your favorite sauce (vegan ranch, hot sauce, salsa, pico, vegan cheese)
- Add diced cubes of potato to a small pot of boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and apple cider vinegar, cover, and saute until brown (about 10 mins), stirring occasionally. Season potatoes with salt and garlic powder. Push them to the side of the skillet or set aside in a bowl.
- Spoon a layer of refried beans onto a tortilla and place in skillet with the bean side facing up. Do the same with second tortilla. Cover and cook about five minutes or until the beans are warm. Use a spatula to remove tostadas and place on a plate.
- Spoon a layer of potatoes over refried beans. Fan avocado slices on top and sprinkle some diced red onion. Top off with drizzles of ranch and hot sauce, or whatever toppings you like.
These babies are super filling but I’ve been known to put away two at a time ? These tostadas get me excited about waking up in the morning, and they’re a delicious start to the day!